Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
summerdream
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
Question about incident light meter
Feb 28, 2013

I came across creativeLIVE's workshop where Blair Bunting was talking about light meter. The biggest statement he made was "your light meter should never talk to your camera", I get it because he mainly uses light meter to make sure the light ratios in the set is what he wants and the lighting is within the dynamic range of the camera. What I don't understand is that he continued to explain that light meter is no good unless everything you shoot is 18% gray (he used light & dark skin as an example). He was talking about incident mode from a handheld light meter, not reflective metering from camera or handheld meter. What I understand is that incident meter measures luminance falls on the subject not the reflectance from the subject, therefore his point about 18% gray is not right. It should give proper exposure if the meter is calibrated properly.

Am I missing something obvious? Sorry for the long question, I want to give as much info as possible.

summerdream's gear list:summerdream's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow