Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Winerbean
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
You told me so!
Feb 28, 2013

Despite all the warnings here I went ahead and bought a D600 and sold my D7000 for a fair price.  Camera arrived mid January and (serial 306xxx) and I was ecstatic as I did not have the problem.   Today just for something to do I shot the clear sky at F22 and suddenly I was blessed with the dreaded spots like bees exiting a hive.

So I will either send the camera in (cannot return is now as more than 30 days have passed) to Nikon or order a kit from Copper Hill or both.

Am I disappointed - yes.  I must be old school but I believe when I spend $2K on something it should be damn near perfect or if not there should be a really slick customer service system in place to make it that way.  Nowhere in the marketing literature does Nikon say -  "And the D600 will amaze you with its self generating crud patterns"!

I use Apple equipment and their support system and I have never been disappointed by the level of service I get from either their retail or their AppleCare folks.   They seem to get that if they charge premium prices they better offer premium support.  From what I read here Nikon could use some lessons in Customer Service and support.   Frankly I am nervous as can be sending my brand new camera into the abyss of Nikon in LA.   From what I read here it will take weeks if not longer for anything to happen and after they fiddle with the camera it may or may not be fixed.  I take exceptional care of all my equipment and I just wonder how they handle the equipment at their end.

So really this is about my bad decision because so many of you made it abundantly clear there was a challenge with this camera and I got to pay $2K for the privilege of experiencing it for myself.   Do I send it in as per the service advisory and be without it for weeks or do I just learn to clean it and get on with it.   And did we just pay $2K to get really whacked for future resale value?  Now I understand why Nikon reduced the price during the holidays - it probably equals the depreciation we will see on resale because this camera now has a tarnished or should I say "spotty" reputation.

No time to whine though - I own the camera so need to suck it up and either suffer intolerable delays and unknown results by sending it in or bite the bullet and clean it myself and hope I can sell it sometime in the future and re-evaluate my loyalty to Nikon - they certainly are not considering their loyalty to me as a consumer of their products D40X, D90, D7000, D600 and a pile of lenses.

Nikon D40X Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow