Tele travel options//Nikon 70-210mm f4-5.6 AF-D Needs to Go..

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vera Cognome
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
Re: Tele travel options//Nikon 70-210mm f4-5.6 AF-D Needs to Go..
In reply to becomeAchildAgain, Feb 27, 2013

becomeAchildAgain wrote:

the 85mm is very light and small; also selling for $400 nowadays with the rebates.

So you want a pitch for the 85mm f/1.8G? Coming right up!

The 85mm f/1.8G is one of the few bargains in Nikon's lineup, and even more so now. Nikon's running a sale to mollify their shareholders this quarter with big top line numbers, so there's no reason not to take advantage of their games. 85mm is the focal length for romantic portraits, and you're not going to be shooting fashion with your light kit anyway. But the real score with an 85mm is that rather than hanging back and popping away with a tele-zoom, you'll be forced to get up close and personal with your subjects. That'll give your shots an urgency and vibe you can't get out of Photoshop. The f/1.8g is light and fast, and when it comes to flare primes have a big physical advantage over zooms. Why wait?

Of course, for every pitch there's an equal and opposite diss:

The 85mm 1.8G, eh? A nice piece of glass; don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But I was wondering why it was on sale until I thought a bit. The pros I've known are all penny pinchers, but if they have an 85mm prime it's either an Nikon f/1.4, a Zeiss f/1.4 or a Canon f/1.2. That's because if they are going to pay for a specialized tool like a prime, it's because they have gigs which require every edge they can get. And it's not like an 85mm f/1.4 is a boat, hell, the Zeiss is almost exactly the same size as the f/1.8G. Your call, but why not get a lens will fit into both your lightweight and pro kits?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow