Best practices for RAW workflow

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sunny Caribe
Regular MemberPosts: 493
Like?
Re: Best practices for RAW workflow
In reply to sherman_levine, Feb 27, 2013

Although I'm not generally a fan of Adobe, I have warmly adopted LR for all my photo work for two main reasons:

1) The catalog module in LR is peerless, by all accounts.  Downloading (converting to .dng), tagging and sorting pictures is finally as close to effortless as one could expect.  Duplicates ("did I download these already?  Better to be safe..." ugh!) are a thing of the past.  All my old photos have been imported to the catalog and sorted according to a simple, reliable system.  Batch tagging, processing, etc are simple.  Best of all for me, I can download a card full of pics, tag any I don't like for deletion on the fly, and batch delete at the end.

2) LR is both an excellent stand-alone editor with full plugin capability, and a fully integrated jumping off point for deeper editing software, like PS, etc.  I don't often use plugins or CS/PSE but if I need them, they're merely a right-click away, and the resulting edited image will be right back in LR when I'm done.

Some here have expressed dismay at the complexity of LR, and I can say that I was overwhelmed at first too.  I loathe reading directions, generally speaking, but after I stumbled upon Laura Shoe's lightroom tutorials I felt I finally understood not only the software but the developing process too.

-- hide signature --

- Rick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow