SX50...not "the" camera?

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,481Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50...not "the" camera?
In reply to dzyg, Feb 27, 2013

dzyg wrote:

Thanks for sharing your pics...that trotting pic is awesome! I know every camera has a learning curve but I was really dissapointed with the outside dog action shots from this camera. Hopefully my summer shots are better once it gets warm out here and the snow melts.

Do you have your af frame on tracking?

I have used tracking focus with some success, but my SOP is center focus with re-compose. The trotting buck was captured this way as I remember focusing on his nose and moving the camera left to compose before pressing the shutter button the rest of the way. I was lucky that there was a small clear flat space in front of me so that I didn't have to worry about tripping as I was trotting forward myself.

The tracking focus I've used for 100' to 200' open air birds in flight only and it works pretty well for me. I haven't really tried it much for moving subjects close at hand, as follow focus is my preferred technique in these cases. The SX50 is of course not as good as a dSLR for this technique, but it is better than the SX40 and, with practice can produce good results.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow