MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong Comparison. The MX-1 Given Its Size, Weight and Price Should Be Compared To the Canon G 15
In reply to viking79, Feb 27, 2013

viking79 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

jimr wrote:

Nikon P 7700, Panasonic LX .

To put the non pocketable larger sensor Sony RX 100 I against a camera that is not pocketable and has a much smaller sensor is comparing two cameras that do not compete.

Silly comparison. Wrong comparison.

Blunty's MX-1 video review isn't doing a straight one-on-one comparison with the RX100 but since ANY compact review has to answer the question "why should I buy this over an RX100", he attempts to show exactly why there are compelling reasons to prefer an MX-1.

And having owned the RX100, I happen to agree with him 100%.

All of the cameras that do compete have a hot shoe Etc...

I keep reading people talk about hot-shoes on compacts, but I have yet to find a photographer who spends a lot of time mounting a full-sized SB800 or YN-565 on a compact. That's what we have DSLRs for. Compacts are usually meant to be, well, compact shooters for photography on the go.

I don't think it will matter to most, and you are right, there is no reason to mount a full size flash on one.

The reason you want a hot shoe on a compact is so you can put a wireless trigger on it and use it to fire studio strobes. In situations where you can control the light it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between an image from a compact and one from an SLR. The larger sensor image will likely be better, but this is a point where the compact might be good enough.

I totally agree with you Eric, and your point about wireless triggers is a good one.  But you touched on another point in your last sensor and since I'm assuming most people own a DSLR or larger sensor mirrorless, so my feeling why would someone choose to do a studio session with the compact?

I certainly can think of valid uses for a hot-shoe on a compact, wireless triggers, a shotgun mic for video, or even a small strobe.  My point about a compact is that many people use these cameras not as replacements for DSLRs for studio work, but a highly portable street shooters, or for travel photography.

This image was taken with my Q and 8.5mm f/1.9, at 1.9 with Cactus V2 wireless trigger and Alien Bees B400 strobe and beauty dish with the sock on it. It is resized down, but even at the pixel level quite sharp. I couldn't easily get this shot with the MX1 because it has no hot shoe. I also had the ND filter on, even at minimum power on the flash, ISO 125, the flash was too powerful at f/1.9. It was perfect with the ND filter built into the lens.

That is a lovely shot, but I suppose a determined MX-1 user could just fire the flashes with a optical slave using the on camera flash, provided the pre-flash doesn't mess things up.  But obviously your way is a lot easier and efficient.  I suppose if the OP thinks he wants to use one of these compacts in this way, a hot-shoe is a requirement.

By the way, the MX-1 has a built-in ND filter just like the Q, and a whopping 1/8000 max shutter speed.  It's clear from Blunty's review that the MX-1 has much of the same built-in fun that the K-30 and Q have.  I'm a big fan of the quick settings menu something I miss very much about my K-30 who is no longer with me.  

Anyway, great lighting in your image.  I really do have to invest in a beauty dish.  Nice job, good post.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow