Can I live with the X100s as my only camera?

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
El Chubasco
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?
Re: Can I live with the X100s as my only camera?
In reply to Jorste, Feb 27, 2013

Jorste wrote:

Hi

I have been into photography for some years now. I started as most other people with a simple Canon P&S and last year I ditched the Canon to get a Sony A57. First of all, I love the camera, however I find it too bulky and heavy for my casual trips and travel photography. I often find myself taking photos in the streets and some landscape. I also travel quite a lot with family and friends, and it is important to me that I can capture all those special moments with as good image quality as possible.

The last couple of months there has been a growing tendency for me to bring only the crappy old Canon Ixus 75, because I don't want to be lugging the heavy DSLR.

So my question is: Can I really live with the X100s as my only camera? What kind of gear do other people that carry these cameras have in their arsenal?

Of course i will always have my trusty P&S as a backup, but I can't imagine the reach of that thing is not going to be compensated by a step forward/backwards.

What do you guys think?

I am asking the same question myself, especially after I got my X100. I find the 35mm equivalent being a very flexible focus length that does much of what I need. Getting used to a single focal length has also allowed me to focus on different aspects of photography that I used to oversee when I was zooming in and out. The only reason why I keep my m4/3 is because its ability to go wider when I shoot architecture (which can be done withe the wide angle adapter) and to zoom in when I go to the zoo or to the conservatory (which can be done by cropping the image at the expense of IQ), which, in fact I do in very rare occasions. To be honest, I am still debating if I could only live with my X100. I think that I might, I think I might....

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow