The fully functional D800 AF thread - drop a line!

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,458
Like?
Re: I am sorry, but...
In reply to Chris J Newman, Feb 27, 2013

Chris J Newman wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

...if Nikon would ever i introduce sensor shaking IS (IBIS) then I will sell everything and move to another brand. IBIS was one reason for me to leave Olympus, I want a fixed sensor.

As far as I understand, the sensors on my D90 and D800 already shake to remove the dust. I would like the option of intelligent movement to counter my shaking. I'm not aware of frequent problems with the various brands that use sensor stabilization.

Chris

That isn't how it works.  Only the low pass filter (which is in front of the sensor) vibrates at varying frequencies in attempt to remove loose dust.  The sensor itself does not vibrate.

In-lens image stabilization is always superior to sensor-based stabilization, at least with current technologies.  Additionally, you can see the stabilization effect in the viewfinder with in-lens stabilization, which is extremely useful, especially for tracking things like birds.  The only advantage of body-based stabilization is that every single lens gets the stabilization, even 50 year old lenses, which granted is a very nice perk, but it is less effective.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow