Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PhotographicPhil
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
GF5 - Awful white balance in artificial light
Feb 27, 2013

I recently bought a new GF3 + 14-42X lens for the bargain price of £250. After selling the unwanted lens and my old GF3 then I will effectively have a new body for very little if any outlay.

While there are several benefits to the GF5 over the GF3, there are some surprising issues with the new model:

1. The larger handgrip actually makes it less comfortable in my opinion when larger diameter lenses are attached (including the 20mm) as there is less space for the index finger. On the GF3, the 45-200mm, while ridiculously out of proportion, was still usable. On the GF5 though I cannot even wrap my finger around the grip with this lens attached.

2. The custom modes display now doesn't display any of the custom mode settings, as the GF3 does. It just shows the C1, C2 and C3 soft buttons.

3. The less cluttered live view display now does not include the exposure mode soft button, so to change mode you must now press the display button beforehand, which I dislike.

4. The white balance presets are useless in artificial light. AWB is too warm and incandescent is so warm that everything looks yellow. Even moving the fine tuning as "blue" as it will go in incandescent mode is not enough. It really is awful. I have to resort to setting it myself with a white card.

Points 2 and 3 are just niggles, but point 4 is my main concern and I am wondering if there is a fault with this camera as no-one else seems to have mentioned it. Has anyone else experienced this? It's a shame because while the GF5 isn't popular with many enthusiasts here it is a great pocket camera for social occasions.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow