Started Feb 27, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ed Godoy
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Canon Lens for African Safari
Feb 27, 2013

I currently own a Canon 7D and a Canon 5D Mark III which I plan to take on a trip to South Africa. I currently own several lenses which  I plan to take with me, but I am concern reading some articles on African Safari that my lenses might not be long enough.

I plan to take a Canon 24- 105 f/4L IS USM as my general all purpose lens for the trip which I plan to use with the 5D mark III.

I will also take my Canon 70 -200 f2.8L IS II USM and the Canon Extender 1.4x III and Canon Extender 2x III which I could use with the 7D. Since the 7D has a crop sensor of 1.6, it will help with my reach issue. The 7D with the 70-200 and the 1.4XIII is equivalent to a 156.8 - 448 (f/3.92 ) and with the 2XIII its equivalent to 224- 640 (f/5.6) ( if my my math is correct). However, that might not be long enough for certain Safari.

I do not want to take a 400 or a 500 Canon Lens. They are very large, heavy and extremely expensive. I have enough with the gear I have to add such a large, heavy, expensive lens.

I have been debating if I should rent and or buy a Canon 100 - 400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM to take on the trip in addition to the 70-200 f2.8L IS II USM I have and the two extenders ( 1.4X and 2X). This would enhance my reach equivalent up to 320- 1280 with the 7D with the crop sensor and the 2X. However, I am concern that the 2X III extender would degrade the quality and sharpness to a point that it might not be a good idea. The lens would be effectively an f/9-11.2. I am concern how sharp the pictures would be. I could use the  Canon 100- 400 with the 1.4X III instead to reduce it down to a f/6.3- 7.84 equivalent, but the reach would be reduced on the 7D to an equivalent of 224-896.

Any experience with the Canon 100- 400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM and the Canon 2X III and Canon 1.4III with the 7D?

Ed Godoy's gear list:Ed Godoy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow