Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,878Gear list
Like?
Nikon lens rebates expiring this weekend. I caved and bought the 85F1.8g
Feb 27, 2013

I had been saving towards a Nikon 85F1.4g for a year or more.    But kept thinking about the 1.8g for so much less money.    Never had a 1.4 lens, and I just wanted one.

And then the Nikon lens rebates came along and made the 1.8g even more affordable.

So I decided to take advantage of the deal (much like my Nikon V1 purchase) and buy either a 1.8 or a 1.4.

First stop, B&H Photo.    And the 1.8g was out of stock.  Sigh.  But I expected that.   So I thought I'll go ahead and buy the 1.4g - but only from B&H.    The reason there was that I have several gift cards from birthday and Christmas for B&H, and I'd use those on the 1.4g.

But, out of stock at B&H also.

Checked Adorama - out of stock, though they tend to hide that information until you add to the shopping cart.

Decided to try Samy's, and they had 4 1.8g's in stock, so I ordered one.

The 85F1.8g will replace my aged Nikon 85F1.8 AF.   It should be interesting to compare them.   My 85.F1.8 AF is pretty soft from 1.8 to 2.2, and it may suffer some focus shift as well as it's always been tough to hit perfect focus wide open.  (D300 and D700 in use).

Maybe one day I'll end up with the 1.4g, but it seems like it will be a better idea to have the new lens in my hand than waiting another year or so to get a 1.4.

... Now on to finding justification for upgrade my 80-200F2.8 push-pull to a 70-200vr II...

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow