The fully functional D800 AF thread - drop a line!

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,629Gear list
Like?
It misses the point entirely
In reply to olyflyer, Feb 27, 2013

olyflyer wrote:

What exactly is wrong in my response other than that......it does not fit your expectations of an approved answer? Well, never mind, but to me the only sane response is to contact Nikon when you have a consistent problem you claim to have.

What is wrong is that I was not voicing a complaint - you missed the point again: Although I have not used a D800/E which exhibits the "left AF point issue," I remain open-minded to the trials of others which indicate, through credible reports, that on the order of 10-20% of early D800 units are affected. I cannot help but think of what Jesus said: "Blessed are they who have not seen, yet believe."

When multiple users disclose that several bodies in a row that they have tried, exhibit this issue, then it isn't a 1% problem. When numerous users disclose that their camera has made many service trips to Nikon, with highly variable success, then Nikon service isn't an attractive option.

Perhaps some day I'll do with my D800E, what I've been doing for a living, with other complex electronic units, for decades: Take it apart and fix it myself. Why play the Nikon "black box shop" lottery, drawing a technician who has an unknown level of experience? If I eventually have someone adjust the camera for me, it will probably be a tech at a local shop, who has already proven their competence. In the meantime, the camera is perfectly usable with appropriate AF fine-tuning.

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow