Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dzyg
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
SX50...not "the" camera?
Feb 27, 2013

So I got the SX50 the end of last year and I guess I was hoping for more. I was using a Canon S3IS before this. My shots mainly consisit of birds, running dogs and landscapes. I had a 1.7x teleconverter on the S3IS and wanted something not so big (long) that I could put in my fanny pack for taking pics on walks and something that would work good for all my shots. While I do like the SX50 I don't think it is an all around camera. Unless I am doing something wrong and someone can show me differently. I love it for the bird shots where I can lean up against something so I am stable enough for a crisp shot. I don't care that much for tripods as I move around too much. Here is a bird shot I got with the SX50 through my bathroom window...which is why I do like the camera but..

...my favorite thing to do in Winter months is to take the dogs out in the snow and get pics of them running in the snow or throwing balls for them and taking pics of them running back to me. The SX50 fails greatly at this even in good lighting. Images come back very soft I think due to my movement. I throw the ball/s with my right hand and then get the camera in position focus on the dogs and try to get good shots of them. With all the movment even with my S3IS it wasn't easy but I always managed to get some nice shots. I have stopped taking the SX50 outside cause I would come back with nothing. I took it out Saturday for a bit but ended up going back in and getting my S3IS and going back out and ended up with some nice shots even though it was cloudy out. I shoot mainly in P mode or Shutter Priority but usually for the dog shots P mode always worked best for this type of shooting. Most of my shots I have on ISO 80, very rarely will I increase the ISO cause on the older models it increased the grain greatly. Here is a shot I got with my S3IS...

Is the SX50 capable of getting decent shot like the above shot? I know it isn't perfect but I like the shot and wanted something that could do better. I am thinking I am going to need a DSLR if I want something better than my S3IS...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow