MX-1 — World's best value compact (video review)

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,552Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong Comparison. The MX-1 Given Its Size, Weight and Price Should Be Compared To the Canon G 15
In reply to marike6, Feb 27, 2013

marike6 wrote:

jimr wrote:

Nikon P 7700, Panasonic LX .

To put the non pocketable larger sensor Sony RX 100 I against a camera that is not pocketable and has a much smaller sensor is comparing two cameras that do not compete.

Silly comparison. Wrong comparison.

Blunty's MX-1 video review isn't doing a straight one-on-one comparison with the RX100 but since ANY compact review has to answer the question "why should I buy this over an RX100", he attempts to show exactly why there are compelling reasons to prefer an MX-1.

And having owned the RX100, I happen to agree with him 100%.

All of the cameras that do compete have a hot shoe Etc...

I keep reading people talk about hot-shoes on compacts, but I have yet to find a photographer who spends a lot of time mounting a full-sized SB800 or YN-565 on a compact. That's what we have DSLRs for. Compacts are usually meant to be, well, compact shooters for photography on the go.

I don't think it will matter to most, and you are right, there is no reason to mount a full size flash on one.

The reason you want a hot shoe on a compact is so you can put a wireless trigger on it and use it to fire studio strobes. In situations where you can control the light it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between an image from a compact and one from an SLR. The larger sensor image will likely be better, but this is a point where the compact might be good enough.

This image was taken with my Q and 8.5mm f/1.9, at 1.9 with Cactus V2 wireless trigger and Alien Bees B400 strobe and beauty dish with the sock on it. It is resized down, but even at the pixel level quite sharp. I couldn't easily get this shot with the MX1 because it has no hot shoe.  I also had the ND filter on, even at minimum power on the flash, ISO 125, the flash was too powerful at f/1.9.  It was perfect with the ND filter built into the lens.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow