D800 or D4 : Family Vacation

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
DigitalJay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,429Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 or D4 : Family Vacation
In reply to Arvind Balaraman, Feb 27, 2013

Lots of good advice here, but only you can decide. If I limit the discussion to what the OP stated, either a D4 or D800, my choice would be the D800, no battery grip, and a spare battery.

Lens choice would be the zoom lens with the best range I own, possible even renting if possible.

I have both the 24-70 Nikkor and the 24-85G. The 24-85 wins in the weight dept, hands down!

Ex: I have the D800, the original 24-85G and 70-300VR lenses. That makes a great travel package for CASUAL vacation-type snaps. It doesn't weigh a bunch, and without the grip the D800 is manageable to carry for a long time.

I took the D800/24-85 on a day trip to Kennedy space center and it was no bigger problem to carry than some of the mirrorless cams.

As always, only the individual can decide what is the right choice or choices for them, but if the family vacation is a disguise for a photo trip, then bring only the best, which will also generally be the heaviest.

Either way, enjoy the vacation!!

Jay

DigitalJay's gear list:DigitalJay's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D800New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow