Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,206Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD Em5 video question and FPS question
In reply to gisligun, Feb 27, 2013

gisligun wrote:

Hi

I have a oly em5 camera and have had it for almost a year now and I do think I have mastered most aspects of its grueling menu controls when it comes to photography. Before I had G1/epl1 and before that I had Oly E500 so the menu wasn’t all that new to me to begin with. But still it is a camera loaded with options so it takes a good time to learn what all the things do.

But now im getting more interested in videography and I have been trying to learn how things move in that department on the Em5 camera. Record in M mode and the 180° shutter vs fps rule and all that. And not to mention all the postproduction in Premiere Elements and.. well you get the point it’s an ongoing process.

But one thing bothers me Immensely and that is the lack of info Em5 gives about each video format. Sorry English is not my native language so its hard to explain. But when I go into video mode on EM5 and see the options I get: FullHD Fine/normal and HD fine/normal (Not interested in .avi).

So w*f does that mean? I know FullD Fine is 1080i and HD is 720p, but when I got to the manual It sais (aprox) 60 fps from a about 30p sensor output? Well when I try to find out on the internet what that means I get no answers. Ether ppl say that that its 720 60p output or its 720 30p output. Well in my books that’s really vague and I have no idea why it can so hard to just say its 30p or 60p and be done with it.

The reason for all this is I want try to make slowmo videos with programs like twixtor in after effects but its recommended to use at least 60p video to do that. So when I opened my HDfine vide in after effects and saw it was only 30fps (or about that) I got rely confused thinking from reading all the revives, like from dpreview that it has 60p video.

Can pls someone tell me what is the real fps on the different video settings and please tell me bluntly if Em5 is to limited for videos (slow mo) that I wish to do? And what is 60p from a 30p sensor output?

Best regards gisligun

Depending on the camera it may only allow certain combinations. If you want to do the slow motion effect at 60 frames/second start there and you just have to accept the 720p or whatever it gives you. I have the GH-3 so its a bit different and I do not know the video options of the OMD.

When shooting 60 FPS begin with a shutter speed of 1/120 sec. Don't zoom with a variable aperture lens while recording since exposure will change.

Use a fluid video head on a Mono-pod or Tripod for best results. A video head can be used for stills but not so much a head designed for stills when you want to do video. If you get a tripod a geared center column allows for smoother movements. If you use a rapid center column you have to use your power to slowly raise or lower if you need to keep recording and make a change on the fly.

Just try the various video modes while shooting cars if you can, just something that has constant movement while you try the different modes.

I know the GH-3 is very obvious when it comes to recording explanations.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow