Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 877
Like?
Too much agonizing over little things
Feb 27, 2013

Thom is right on the money again (IMHO), but on this forum such an opinion sounds almost provocative. At least this is my sense after spending some time on this forum. Is something wrong here, or am I misreading this forum?

http://www.bythom.com/sins.htm

Too much agonizing over little things. Is there a tiny scratch on the front of the lens? A bit of dust on the front element? Is your camera a little bit noisier in low light than your shooting buddy's? Did you forget to set Optimal Quality for the JPEG Compression? Little things don't kill pictures. We already have it so much better than we did at the start of my career that I can usually neglect a lot of little things and still take pictures technically better than I took 20 or 30 years ago. Yet some of those older pictures endure. Why? Because the little things that were wrong with them were far outweighed by the things that were right, which is to say composition, timing, poses, unique event/perspective, etc. If you agonize over the little things too much, you never get to the proper amount of agonizing over the big things. Get the big things right first and foremost. If you then still have time, agonize over the little things.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow