Shakeout in the mirrorless market

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Haider
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?
Re: Peter, interesting analysis
In reply to Haider, Feb 27, 2013

Actually Almaric I hope Oly do well in all 3 revenue streams SLRs, MILC and advanced compacts because that is the only way they will be able to survive. If you think Oly are going to be preparing SHG lens on m4/3rds you're dreaming. They have pinned their colours to a hybrid. They made a couple of equivalents HG lens i.e. 12-50 f3.5-5.6 is the equivalent to the 12-60 f2.8-4.0. I believe the idea is small fastish primes and slow zooms. Forget the f2 telephotos. Neither can you have small fast zooms with high IQ. Fact is Canikon are always going to be the the winners, compact, DSLR or MILC in what ever format. Canikon just have the brand, resources and money to enter the fray and deliver the sucker punch. They will bide their time until the fruits are ripe for the picking. Why do the groundwork when there are others who are investing the $$$, let them get on with it and see how it goes. Like a sniper they are biding their time for the 1 shot kill. Oly have realised they can't just sell MILC and hope to survive. You need to generate revenue in all streams - compact, MILC and DSLR. MILC marketshare isn't booming and that is coming from Oly. Take the OM-D internals, shrink the E-5 body down to an E-30 size and call it an E-7. Oly already do that with the sensor. They cannibalize it and it ends up in all their bodies. It's called manufacturing Almaric. That is probably where they are going to be heading, it's gonna all be about modular platforms and packaging. VAG have done very well out of it Audi A3, VW Golf, Seat Leon and Skoda Octavia. Put the internals into different packages.

If Oly don't make a profit from all three revenue streams they are dead. Money keeps companies alive. SLRs have been around along time, I wouldn't write them off. Chinese won't pay they will just copy it. Canon could have joined m4/3rds.

You want to be a hit in the US, forget about being the biggest player anywhere else.

Thanks

Haider

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow