Are Canon pro shutters quieter than Nikons?

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lea5
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
Re: It's not the shutter
In reply to michaeladawson, Feb 27, 2013

Benefitiing in what? There is no report that a mirror from a 1D model fell apart My shutters & mirrors used to work more than 200.000 klicks. But the shutter/mirrow sound from a 1D model is much quiter and less vibration in the camera. It is much more comfortable to use.  When I jumped to Nikon in 2008 and fired the D3 first time I was scared, because of the noise it made. I asked my dealer if the cam has a problem Well I got used to it over the years. Funny was that my D3X was quiter than my D3 and the my D4 is as loud as my D3, just sounds different. My D800E is quieter than my D4.

To sum it up, no DSLR model are really good for classical concerts.

michaeladawson wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

It is not the shutter, it's the mirror. The Canon mirror slaps and doesn't sound a solid thunk like the Nikon. If you look at the slow motion videos of the Canon cameras, they bounce the mirror. The Nikon has a firmer action that brings the mirror up much faster for less black out time between shots and that makes more noise.

-- hide signature --

"Moving parts in rubbing contact require lubrication to avoid excessive wear. Honorifics
and formal politeness provide lubrication where people rub together.
Often the very young, the untraveled, the naive, the unsophisticated deplore these
formalities as "empty," "meaningless," or "dishonest," and scorn to use them.
No matter how pure their motives, they thereby throw sand into machinery that does not
work too well at best."
--Robert Heinlein in "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long"

Interesting Chris. Is it true? I don't pore over spec sheets. But if there are good reasons for the loud sound of Nikons it would be a nice thing to know. I wouldn't mind the loud sound if I knew that I actually benefitted from it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Lea5's gear list:Lea5's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow