Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
The Sony RX1 AF is fine
Feb 27, 2013

It's very accurate. When low contrast mixes with low light it can have difficulties like many other systems.
The lens is actually very big and heavy. It extends back almost to the focal plane (see google for photo of lens construction, very interesting).

The focus is slower then my D800E and OM-D but faster then the X100 and X-pro.

I encourage folk to try before you buy.

I understand its an expensive camera but its no compromise approach to IQ and size have caused some compromises. I would remind folk that the ME/M9 has only one exposure mode (diffused elliptic spot) and only aperture priority and manual.

Interestingly I have used it consistently successfully for action (moving street). It just takes consideration, as a photographer should use with any camera (as demonstrated admirably in other posts here).

I have used many cameras with slower focus very successfully.
This camera is only limited by the photographer

I use spot focus (by switching to moveable focus spot mode). I also use the camera with focus illuminator turned off. I have found it works well in low light. My technique with any camera is to find an area of good contrast to focus on if possible. I see no reason to change this technique as super sharp focus is essential for my style of photography. Saying that the RX1 rarely has difficulty with anything I throw at it.

In summary this camera is an absolute gem. It performs at f2 and ISO 3200 excellently. At ISO 800 it is the first camera I have used with close to pixel perfect quality.
(I tend only to use lenses wide open or at f8-f11).

Despite the lacklustre packaging, the camera impresses on its own. The controls and construction are way above most other cameras I have used.

I will publish my initial summary findings shortly, but there are ample reviews on the Internet to view.

Suffice to say this camera goes everywhere with me, including work each day.

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow