Tele travel options//Nikon 70-210mm f4-5.6 AF-D Needs to Go..

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vera Cognome
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?
Re: Tele travel options//Nikon 70-210mm f4-5.6 AF-D Needs to Go..
In reply to becomeAchildAgain, Feb 27, 2013

becomeAchildAgain wrote:

But then I'm hardly ever satisfied with the IQ of the 70-210mm and wish I had a better IQ lens..I don't do much landscape/tripod so I like to have the option of shooting as wide open as possible. The options I've been considering are:

Nikon 85mm 1.8G: light weight and fast but hardly versatile.. can one be creative on the tele side given the style above? .. i can fully manage on the wide side and actually enjoy it but not sure i can on the tele side..

Nikon 70-200mm f4: A great option but can't seem to justify having the 2.8 along with the f4.. i love having the 2.8 which also serves as my portrait lens.. also adds weight/size to my current light kit..

Nikon 70-300mm VR: don't need the range and i'm sure i won't be satisfied going from the 70-210mm to the 70-300mm, will feel like a half-way solution..

Nikon 180mm f2.8: too limited..

Easy answer first.  Other people managed to be creative without zoom lenses for decades.  Some artists loathe limitations, others use limitations for inspiration.  Which are you?

Tough love comes next.  If you're use to using a 70-200mm VR under controlled circumstances, using any of the above in a "light kit" has to be a half-way solution.  You're either going to give up flexibility, carry weight or IQ.  Since you have both a D3 and a D300 I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.  I'd lay odds that you've already talked yourself into the 70-200mm f/4 VR and are trying to find outside justification.

So here it is.  If you buy one or both of the primes, you'll be back shopping for a zoom the first time you miss a shot because you had the wrong lens on the camera or you got burned by too low a handheld shutter speed.  If you buy the 70-300mm, you'll be forever wondering what that extra money would have bought you, even though I can tell by your pics that you will‚Äč use that extra reach.

Grab a 70-200mm f/4 and a TC14 to use with both zooms and don't look back.  Of course, if you'd prefer me to pitch a different option, I'll do so just as positively.  Practice, don't you know.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow