Please help save me from financial ruin!

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
HobbiesAreFun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?
Re: Please help save me from financial ruin!
In reply to TheMartyGuy, Feb 27, 2013

If you feel your photography as an art form is defined by the gear you use and how other people respond to the gear you use, that's something you and only you can fix. If that isn't the case, then just keep moving along with your own work. Find a new photography project to work on, perhaps try and create a focused series of works around a given topic or central theme. However, if how you feel others perceive you or your work is the problem, there's not much hope, at least for the short term.

Admittedly, it's one of the hardest things to do in this day and age, especially on this forum. There are so many people who are so gear-centric that they lose sight of photography, and reach more towards becoming collectors who value the objects more than they value the photography we create with said objects.

Right now I'm in a rather inspiring AP Studio Art 2D Design course at my school, and I've finally learned I can just try to improve my work, regardless of the equipment. For some things, you just have to have better equipment, but for the vast, vast majority, you just have to change your process, thinking, and skills. Note, I didn't say improve. Just change.

Half a year ago, I suffered from gear envy. I will still probably change systems, but that's because of what my A850 is and isn't capable of in regards to autofocus, which sadly is still of importance due to my event shoots on the side. Otherwise, my A850 is perfect for my own personal art studies into portraiture.

-- hide signature --

-Eric (17 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

HobbiesAreFun's gear list:HobbiesAreFun's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow