Photo management questions

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Questions thread
Carey Brown
Contributing MemberPosts: 689Gear list
Like?
Re: Photo management questions
In reply to AMomcil, Feb 27, 2013

I just looked up LR's price at B&H, $130. It seems like your hesitation is about the price. I find I don't hesitate when the price of a software package is below $100 but when it's more I think twice about it. I sprung for the 1st edition of LR for $300 when it came out and it was worth every penny. You'll get a lot of software for your $130.

Regarding DNG, when I first read about it I thought it was a wonderful idea and I kept hoping the industry would adopt it as a standard. Sadly, that is not the case. Right now if you convert to DNG you are pretty much locked in to Adobe whereas XMP files seem to be accepted by all editors that deal with RAW images, though I'll admit they are more of a pain to manage. With LR I actually don't create XMP files I just use the LR database. This doesn't really lock me in to LR because I can ask LR to create the XMP files any time I really need one (haven't so far).

Carey Brown's gear list:Carey Brown's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow