First Pics with New 7D

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
yycPhotog
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
Re: You will love the 100-400L!
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Feb 26, 2013

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Generally now a days people are choosing the Canon 17-55 f2.8, Sigma 17-50 f2.8 or Canon 15-85 for general purpose walk around lenses, they are all excellent. I would say more on these lenses, but I'm sure I will be vilified if I do so. The new Canon 18-135 STM looks very promising as well, though I have no first hand experience with it, the older version tested very poorly. Some people are using the 24-105 f4 L as well though the range is more suited to a 35mm format camera or "full frame" camera such as the 5D, 6D, 1Dx, etc...

It's really a matter of whether you want more range or constant f2.8 aperture, there are different camps of thinking in this regard. I think both camps can make good points supporting their decisions, it's really about what/how you shoot. The 17-50(55) lenses are great walk around lenses with the ability to shoot landscapes in pretty dark conditions hand held, the 15-85 is more useful for a daytime walk around lens, just more depth of field, etc....

Here are some lower light shots to see what I mean...all taken hand held. This is when the f2.8 lenses gain an advantage, but the 15-85 or 18-135 means less lens changing during the day, or less cropping for those tighter shots.

1/20th f4

This is a 1/8 of a second f2.8 shot...

1/8th f2.8

(removed pics for reply...)

Very nice pictures! Thank you. I think the Canon 17 - 55 mm may be a choice for me, but will have to look a bit further into this lens as I really know nothing about it.

yycPhotog's gear list:yycPhotog's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow