Poor review for 16-50 e mount

Started Nov 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
asiafish
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor review for 16-50 e mount
In reply to GaryW, Feb 26, 2013

I love the 16-50, and bought for when I just want to take pictures casually.  I have the Zeiss 24 and the 50 OSS as well, and an adapter for my Leica R primes (35, 50, 90, 135), so the 16-50 really only adds the medium wideangle range to what I already have, and I tend to shoot at 35mm (24 on APS-C) most of the time.

The Zeiss 24 lives on my NEX7 and is my first choice when I don't need pocketability.  Likewise, when I carry a bag the Zeiss is usually on the camera and my other primes get more use than the zoom.  But this thing is so small collapsed that it always has a place in the bag (or a pocket if I carry only the Zeiss) and for when I don't want to bother with any gear at all, the NEX7 with 16-50 is as small as it gets for this level of quality.

One thing that really impresses me after the 1.02 firmware update is that the correction of the 16-50's serious optical flaws is now handled in RAW as well as JPEG.  This alone lifts this lens from something I would previously only use for casual family-type photos into something that I also use for creative photography.

Outstanding for what it is.

-- hide signature --

'China, which we call Red China, just exploded a nuclear bomb, which we called a device' - Tom Lehrer

asiafish's gear list:asiafish's gear list
Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow