shame on you Nikon

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
eddyshoots
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
Re: Not anymore
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Feb 26, 2013

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Is it really that much more trouble to haul around a D90/7000?

As a general answer, no. But on occasion there are indeed times when I'd like the lighter smaller body. Next week I'm taking a family vacation to Florida's gulf coast with a short excursion to an Orlando theme park. Additionally, my wife wants a nice family portrait done while we are there. Now I have to make some decisions. I'd like to bring a small body, a zoom, an external flash and a small tripod. My camera body choices are a D40 or my D300....significant size differences. I'd like to bring my SB600 and use if off camera (I like holding the flash in my left hand when on the run) but I can't control the flash with the D40 (D40 has no commander and the SB600 has no SU4 mode) soooo now I'm bringing more gear or larger gear (SC-29, SB800 or D300).

Is it a major dilemma? No. But it's a dilemma brought about by Nikon's insistence on tying functionality to size. The physical stuff I can live with....robust build vs plasticky feel, larger guide number on flashes, faster mirror mechanism....etc. These things need to be built into the cameras. But the software driven stuff should be upgradable for sure.

There are lots of camera / functionality combinations that just don't work right now. It's not for me, but some of the macro guys really like the swivel screen....what if they also want flash commander mode? Or like the OP, wanting a small body with extended bracketing features. Mountain climbers, extreme hikers, or even seniors all have reasons to want small bodies and may actually want a decent feature set to go with that small camera.

-- hide signature --

eddyshoots

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ManyNew
OKNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow