Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
Re: Not anymore
In reply to Mako2011, Feb 26, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

draacor wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

draacor wrote:

For not providing more regular updates to their firmware. One thing i would love to have is more than 3 bracketed shots available. This isn't something that is hardware dependent Give me 5 or better yet 9 bracketed shot ability.

Not a firmware issue...it's a business decision and feature issue. Nikon rarely adds features in firmware updates. It would be counterproductive to the business model just as MacDonald s doesn't add more nuggets to the 10 nugget meal to make it look more like the 20 nugget meal.

see i think its that way because people come to expect it not necessarily because that's how it should be. Look at video games, i can buy a 50 dollar video game that basically gets regular updates and improvements for at least a year down the road if not more.

Today the norm is increasingly you buy the game, a short one, then have to pay more for DLC (down Loadable Content).

A hugely profitable model that is completely ignored by Nikon and the other camera manufacturers.

But i buy a 1300 dollar camera and gets almost no updates to it even tho its possible. Reason being is people are conditioned to accept that that's the way it is instead of questioning this practice.

They always fix bugs with updates for free when they get fixed. Expecting free DLC for your camera to make it more like the higher priced model is like expecting Chevy to add 2 cylinders to your V6 to upgraded it to the V8 model for free. Chevy would soon go under...I think they did once

Actually, this could possibly be a very nice revenue stream for Nikon. Everyone has specific wants and needs with their camera's feature set but are reluctant to pay for the features that they don't use....human nature. However, if Nikon (or other camera manufacturers) offered DLC features at an upgrade price point it would benefit both parties. The user (presumably a HDR fan) would be able to upgrade his bracketing options if desired. Even a nominal DLC fee would be hugely profitable once the system was in place. There are plenty of non hardware functions that could be included on such a list; bracketing, flash commander mode, flash high speed sync, in camera HDR mode....etc. Would a D3200 user be willing to pay an extra $100 to gain access to commander mode? I think at least a few would....I would. I know I wouldn't be particularly interested in bracketing as I rarely use it on my current camera. The benefit to Nikon would be the ability to offer competitively priced entry level cameras such as the D3200 or D5200 but still have the ability to attract extra revenue for DLC. I would like a new small travel camera to replace my D40 but the entry level cameras are just too crippled for my needs. This would solve a lot of problems in Nikon's current schizophrenic camera line up.

-- hide signature --

eddyshoots

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ManyNew
OKNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow