D800 and 85 1.8g is a match made in heaven!

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,341Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 and 85 1.8g is a match made in heaven!
In reply to Shaun_Nyc, Feb 26, 2013

One day I'm going to get an 85mm again, currently making do with my 70-200 VRII. BUT, based on what I've been studying/reading of late, my long-term plan is to get the f/1.4G for better bokeh than f/1.8G and better border/corner sharpness than the Sigma. Does that make sense to folks with f/1.4G experience? I'm not in a rush for the purchase, so I think I'll just save up and get the Nikon 1.4 someday. I'd be using it for: headshots and family at a variety of apertures, and theatre (in this use case f/1.4 to f/2).

OP, I really liked the series, very nice work!! I've considered getting the f/1.8G as an interim, but depending on my savings level, I might just continue using the 70-200 for now and go straight to the end point.

Unlike the OP, I am not a pro, pros have different considerations and probably can't afford to wait like I can.  I do earn some periodic income from theatre through.  Be curious to hear what others think of the 1.4G vs. 1.8G trade-off. In my case, I sometimes do the trade-up approach, buying and selling until I get to the gear level I want, especially if I need something in the interim. In other cases, I just buy what I know I will end up with in the first place

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow