28mm 1.8g for a fun portrait lens instead of 24-105mm?

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jjm1181
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
28mm 1.8g for a fun portrait lens instead of 24-105mm?
Feb 26, 2013

Backstory...I have a D600 and 85mm 1.8g and 50mm 1.8g.  I primarily shoot my wife, son and friends.  I've read where the 28mm offers unique perspective in the portrait shots and I'm reallly interested in that since I'm shooting my 9 month old most of th time.  I only see myslef staying mainly in portraiture in the near future and mayble dabble in street/macro photography.  I just got the 24-120mm f4 with the $300 rebate and I'm beginning to wonder if I should have just spent the money on a wide angle prime (28mm 1.8g) and saved the rest for the 105mm micro one day.

I bought the 24-120mm f4 because of the price and because I thought a mid-range zoom would be beneficial in the long run.  I did a ton of research on here about the quality of the lens, but after receiving it and shooting some, I'm having serious second thoughts.  I love my 85 and 50 primes and think that I would also love the 28mm prime.  I do travel some, but realized that I would be fine with just using the other primes when traveling.  When shooting on the weekends, I tend to setup the situation so I don't feel I would need a zoom.

So I was hoping I could get some advice on how to proceed.  I really like the fast primes since I do shoot in low light often at home. I'm worried that my 24 -105 isn't going to live up to my expectations.  Do I just keep the 24 - 105 or sell it for a 28mm 1.8g or sigma 35mm 1.4?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow