Apple Aperture vs Capture nx2 vs Dxo optics pro 8 vs Lightroom 4 vs Capture one pro 7

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,012Gear list
Like?
Re: Apple Aperture vs Capture nx2 vs Dxo optics pro 8 vs Lightroom 4 vs Capture one pro 7
In reply to bdimakis, Feb 26, 2013

bdimakis wrote:

My problem is that aperture is a great image management program and can do a lot of raw - retouching things there, but lacks to some other like sharpening, shadows/highlights, noise reduction, lens corrections etc.

Not completely true.  It is true that Aperture does not have lens profile corrections.  I can do Moire correction in RAW Fine Tuning, and it has Chromatic Aberration contols.  Aperture has Noise reduction in both RAW Fine tuning and as an adjustment block.  It is not quite as subtle and effective as the noise reduction in LR, but it does work for minor noise problems.  Aperture has sharpening, again, both in RAW Fine Tuning and as an adjustment block (Edge Sharpening).  Using those two in combination with "Clarity" usually provides a good result.  You also can "brush in" Edge Sharpening, and stack individual adjustments.  Aperture has fantastic Shadow/Highlights adjustments.  Don't know why you missed them.

Nik plugins help a lot but i noticed that skin tones are not so good with apple's raw default engine. They look more saturated... more red... something that i dont like so much and i need to work on it... even i have a well white balanced file.

Open up the RAW Fine Tuning brick at the top of the adjustment pane.  Many users never realize it is there, or what it does.  Essentially, it lets you fine tune the RAW conversion yourself.  Notice the Boost and Hue Boost sliders.  Many times these are defaulted to maximum.  This will produce the result you are complaining about.  Take a typical image with some good mix of colors in it and adjust these controls to suite your preferences.   Then set that set of conversion controls as your "Default" camera conversion.  You can do this for different cameras, and for different shooting situations, such as High ISO.  Once defaulted, all you images will be converted using the default parameters.

Understanding and using the built in controls (perhaps you have failed to notice that there is a whole list of other adjustments besides the default set that you can add and make part of your default adjustment set) will usually get about 95% of your images right where you want them.  The other 5% will need more intelligent correction than you can get in either LR or AP.  You then use something like nik Dfine for noise, ink Sharpener Pro for sharpening, or PTLens for extreme lens abberrations and geometric adjustments.

Aperture has the best image management options of any software I have ever used, it integrates well with the operating system, it has a killer multi-media slide show module, it has great social media sharing features, a great professional level book creation module, and great printing facilities.  If you work with the RAW Fine Tuning brick, and try using some of the other controls that you haven't been using, you should clear up most of your issues with Aperture.  It is great for quickly and easily sorting through those 1000s of images, adding metadata, sorting images into Albums, etc.  Also, it facilitates added adjustments to many images at one time (bulk change), and adding import Presets as well.  Get the book "Aperture 3" by Dion Scapettuolo.  It is set up as a series of real world projects.  Work through the first 7 chapters one at a time, and it will open up a whole new world of workflow goodness.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

 Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow