Started Feb 26, 2013 | Questions thread
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony NEX-5 Upgrade
In reply to Damián B, Feb 26, 2013

Damián B wrote:

Hi All,

It's been around 3 years since I bought my NEX-5 + 18-55 + 16 mm. Eventually, I got the Ultra-wide adapter and a Tamron 18-200 (That replaced my 18-55). I also have a Minolta MD 50 F/2 that I love for portraits and to use it when it's dark.

Now, I'm thinking about upgrading, and if either replace my body with a new NEX or get a second, better camera and use the NEX only for occasional/backup purposes.

I'm not a professional and I've never printed any pic. I'm shooting RAW now and processing with LR 4, then upload to Facebook or show them to friends using an iPad.

Just today I've got a used (free) Nikon 70-300 FX format that is around 140 usd online. And I hope it is working! haha.

I'm just wondering if buying a Nikon D600 FF would make sense as a proper upgrade. I'm ok with the NEX but the AF speed is really sluggish and low light performance is not that great.

I know I'm trading that lovely form factor, easy to carry photography. I mean, if I go out at night... not when traveling, I just take my NEX in a small messenger bag with my lenses and I'm ready to go.

The Nikon is FF, weather sealed, fast AF, good variety of lenses, etc... Only thing that concerns me is how big it is.

What do you think? I'm not in a hurry, my NEX is working perfect.. same as the first day. I did read about the RX1 but the idea of a fixed lens and no VF doesn't really appeals to me. I need an all-purpose camera.

Thanks!

A week ago I received my new nex-6 and Im veryh appy with it. I put my 2.5 years old nx-5 to rest (as a backup camera).

The nex-6 gave me 2 important things: EVF and hot shoe. Im doing some studio shooting, and the trick with the optical trigger was a mess.

IQ is suppose to be better, but I dont see it yet, but havent done a lot of shutting, or pushing the result in PS, to see how much DR I can get.

I also have the LAEA2 adapter and an 85mm and 70mm macro, mostly for portraits (with good light, natural or not, so I dont care about lack of IS).

I think that adding a hot shoe and a couple of flashes, some chinese modifiers (I just received a nice octogon that opens as an umbrella, with difuser and egg crate) , a cheap stand and a cheap flash (yongnuo) opens the door to a lot of different possibilities, and sites you will be reading daily (mainly strobist)

Well, that was my path. Doesnt mean it should be yours.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow