ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Abhayks
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Planning a move to Canon
Feb 26, 2013

Hi,

I have a Sony A55 and shoot mostly with Tamron 17-50 2.8 lens. Now the body is developing some issues and many of my friends have Canon so I am contemplating a move to canon. I have tried two cameras at two friends place.

1) 7D with 24-70 2.8 L: Very heavy but surprisingly easy to hold camera. Just love the dual dials for aperture and shutter speeds. Auto-focus is very fast, but she had a L lens so I cannot compare to my Tamron. My A55 has 10 fps against 8 of 7D, but in practice I did not notice any change. The pictures from 7D come very sharp, now again I can attribute this to L Lens. We tried to similar shots at F5 and 50mm and canon was visibly sharper even without zooming in. One issue that I encountered was that camera many times focuses on the background instead of main subject. When I discussed this with my friend she just laughed and said I need to learn to use 7D. Its not a toy camera and I really need to invest time in it to be able to properly use it.

2) 650D with Kit lens 18-55: Approximately same size and weight as my Sony. Controls are different and much less intuitive than 7D.  The touch screen is simply wonderful and a joy to use till I am just playing with the settings, ones I start taking pictures the touch screen is not that useful. Actually I had a tough time with changing any control due to touch screen, I had to take my eyes off viewfinder, make the change and then again get back to viewfinder. I really had a tough time setting the WB and till the end was not able to set it to my taste. Picture quality vise it does not come close to even my A55 let alone a 7D. However, in this case my lens was far better and I attribute better IQ and faster auto-focus to it.  To ensure that it was not my camera handling that is taking inferior shots, I had asked my friend to test and again my photos were sharper and having better WB off camera.

One BIG issue that I faced with both the cameras was that whatever setting I changed is not reflected in viewfinder, something that I am used to of in A55. Like I increase the ISO still the viewfinder shows the same, while the picture that I shoot reflects the change. This is a big disappointment that I cannot see my shot before actually shooting it. How am I supposed to compose ?? I do not like Live view in LCD  too much, as its difficult to keep a steady hand with camera away from body.   This is such a big issue that I am thinking of buying an A77 and stick to my comfort zone.  Is there a way to overcome this shortcoming ?

My wife is much more inclined towards 650D due to its light weight, articulating screen and touch controls, but its WB was a big put off for me. I did like 7D. I mostly shoot family portraits and regular street shots. I have no interest in sports photography except for yearly F1 night race.  My biggest reason for a canon would be more availability of lenses from friends/colleagues.

Considering these points can you guys please help me decide.

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow