I think I know why.. but you tell me.....

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Questions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,482Gear list
Like?
Re: I think I know why.. but you tell me.....
In reply to Nightwings, Feb 26, 2013

Unless you want video in a stills camera, the ONLY thing 'wrong' with a D700 compared to newer models is the sensor.   Think of it like an old film camera that is very very good, but can't use newer film emulsions.   If the older film/sensor does what you need it to, then all the other factors on a camera come into play.    Just because a camera is newer doesn't mean it's better.

Want reliable autofocus?   Maybe you are worried about a D800 then.

Want 8fps (with grip)?   Unless you can pay for a D4, you'll not get it with a new model.

Want the same battery and charger as several older cameras?   EL4a can be used in D300 (grip), D3, D700.   I have both D300 and D700 with grips, and EL4a batteries for each.   The cost of the charger was significant, and I'm not looking forward to having to carry two sets of batteries and chargers if I transition from D300/D700 to D700/D800.

Want a robust body with all the buttons you need?  D800 ok, D600 not.

I'd like a D800 myself, though I worry about the slow fps on it (and the AF issues I hear about).   Having gotten used to D300/D800 (and before that D200) body style, I just don't want a 'lesser' body.    (I'd really prefer D3 or D4, but the price is out of my range).

When a new product comes out with a known or widely perceived defect, the old products stay in demand and retain their value.   Look at the history of the SB800 when the SB900 came out and overheated during wedding shoots...

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow