Sony a77 appears to fake video specs!

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Briarios
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony a77 appears to fake video specs!
In reply to Alphoid, Feb 26, 2013

Alphoid wrote:

The Sony a77 is advertised to shoot 1080p video. In fact, it appears the sensor shoots something around 720p, which is further cropped by 20%. Then the whole low-res video is digitally upsampled to 1080p.

http://www.mitros.org/p/a77/a77_video.html

Cute, huh? I wish I could at least get out a native resolution video stream. It would save size, and limit degradation from upsampling to non-native resolution.

What do folks think? I'll cross-post to other forums later.

I must be missing something.  It appears that the OP in the link, is direct comparing a 6000x4000 still with a 1920x1080 video frame (albeit both cropped to relative proportion). *very* interesting however, looking forward to more info on this issue. Just need the best DSLR/SLT video possible, <$1000 - 15000 for projects.  I have an a57 but would probably pick up something else for a second camera, if I could get predictably better 1080/60p video end results with it.  I landed on a57 as there seemed no better choice for near the same money.

Briarios's gear list:Briarios's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-FH20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S90 Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Sony SLT-A57 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow