Dreading the answer to my 100-400L IS issues.... Any other places for repairs...

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Port Royal Dad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,666
Like?
Dreading the answer to my 100-400L IS issues.... Any other places for repairs...
Feb 26, 2013

I bought my 100-400L two years ago. Very lightly used and I try to take extraordinarily good care of my gear, never been dropped, etc, etc.

Over the past few days I've noticed that the IS will not settle down: While hand-holding (not on a tripod) the image jumps non-stop with a very light "cluk-cluk-cluk" sound until I stop the half press on the shutter button. But then if I release and then immediately half press again, the lens focuses properly and the IS works fine; very frustrating. This happens in either Mode 1 or 2. I shoot use with a 30D and I use center point focus a lot. I'm trying to figure out if this is a contributing factor.

But, it's painfully clear to me that the lens' IS has issues. And I am simply dreading the answer to my question to Canon "What'll it cost to fix?"

I still need to submit Canon's "web" work/repair request. Looks like the closest facility is the one located in Newport News, VA.

I would be so appreciative for your thoughts and advice --- In addition to the bonifide Canon repair facility, do any of you folks have any experience with other repair facilities? Do they even exist?

Thanks for any advise and suggestions!

Best Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

B.R.A.S.S. (Breathe, Relax, Aim, Sight, Squeeze)
http://lh5.google.com/PortRoyalDad/Rwu_WzPG87I/AAAAAAAAAnU/fC0kmv_nhY0/s144/IMG_1479.JPG
A Link To - WilbaW's Unofficial Rebel Forum FAQ- http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Canon EOS 30D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow