would you swap your zooms for primes?

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314Gear list
Like?
Re: would you swap your zooms for primes?
In reply to happysnapper64, Feb 26, 2013

No, I would not give up any currently owned zooms for primes. I use my zooms for what they are good at and my primes similarly.

The zooms I use the most (17-55/2.8, 24-120/4VR, and 80-200/2.8) are great for flexibility. The primes I use (35/1.4, 105/2.8VR Micro) are great for their ultra-fast aperture and their macro capability respectively.

I also use zooms and primes for other practical reasons too. If I want a lens wider than 35mm, or longer than 105mm, or anywhere in between those two focal lengths, my only choice is a zoom. If I want the best image quality, the 35/1.4 gets the nod (assuming the focal length fits the purpose, of course) as it's the best lens I own in that regard.

If anything, I'd own more of each so that I didn't have to sometimes compromise on lens selection. Of course, I'd probably want more bodies too so that I had them all readily available.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow