D800E to 5d mk. III? paralyzed by analysis

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
mdg137
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
Re: D800E to 5d mk. III? paralyzed by analysis
In reply to RS_RS, Feb 26, 2013

RS_RS wrote:

As a Canon SLR/DSLR user since FL days, I still have to say to you that this proposed move from Nikon to Canon seems to me like a way to spend a great deal of money pointlessly. If there are problems with the AF of the D800/D800e (I don't know – are there?), the kind of static photographs you are taking should allow you to overcome these extremely easily – we are not talking sports or birds-in-flight here – and although there are some excellent Canon lenses there is not as yet any Canon equivalent to your favourite 14~24.

I agree completely, that the AF issue COULD be overcome-- in my case, by switching to manual focus. It isnt a question of the D800E not being able to track, or acquire focus quickly enough, it simply isnt acquiring focus in any reliable fashion--

It literally varies wildly  from shot to shot, even when tripod mounted,  with no change in any setting or variable-- on test targets, and in real world shooting--that is utterly unacceptable, which is why its back at Nikon for the second time.

I would think it would be a requisite that you could trust the camera to do what it claims it can do, Im not expecting it to function beyond what is reasonable.

To say there is an easy work around is akin to saying if the air conditioning in your car doesnt work, you can always roll down the windows for the same effect. True enough, but it doesnt make it ok.

At this point, the only solution, should Nikon fail to get it right, is to get a Zacuto hood, and just use live view-- and that isnt fully acceptable to me.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow