why micro focus adjustment ?

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Questions thread
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,323Gear list
Like?
Re: why micro focus adjustment ?
In reply to Dave Oddie, Feb 26, 2013

Dave Oddie wrote:

I think the compromise of using MA at the long end of a zoom is fair enough. The adjustments tend to be small anyway and as you zoom to wider focal lengths I think the increased depth of field is going to take care of any "errors" you introduce by using MA at the long end.

So if you have a 70-300 F4.5 to F5.6 zoom at 70mm @ F4.5 the total d.o.f is 1.09ft if you are 10 feet away from the subject. At 300mm and @ F5.6 there is virtually no depth of field at all at that distance.

I would suggest therefore any front of back focus would show up when sent to 300mm but would not when set to 70mm. So even if the lens didn't need correcting when set at 70mm the fact you made an adjustment at 300mm won't affect things detrimentally at 70mm.

It is even less of a problem with lenses like a 16-80 as the depth of field soon gets very large as you move away from 80mm.

What if you have a fast tele zoom like a 70-200 2.8 Dave ? Would it still be OK to MA for the 200mm end even if you still want to regularly use the 70mm end do you think ?

Or the Sony 16-50 2.8 if you shoot at 2.8 a lot ?

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow