Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
howmanyds
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
Is this the right amount of noise?
Feb 26, 2013

Canikon fanboys say the a77 has "Too much noise!" and Sony fanboys say, "Whatevs; it's fiiiiine."

So I decided to test mine.

I set it up on a mini-tripod for a low-light indoor shoot with a range of colors.  I shot from ISO 50 to 16000 at f/7.1 in both JPEG fine and superfine with both the SAL35f18 and the SAL1650 at 35mm. (Pics at 100, 400, and 1600 attached below.)

Am I being too picky if I say that there seems to be noise even at ISO 50 at least in the dark areas?  The light areas stay pretty noise-free for a much greater range, but even at ISO 400 the shots have enough noise all over that I wouldn't want to print at 100%.  Is my methodology flawed in trying to gauge this in such low light?

By the way, I found no noticeable difference between fine and superfine other than file size.  I also found that Multiframe Noise Reduction adds a nice amount of contrast in addition to keeping the noise down to ISO 400 levels or so.

100% at ISO 50

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow