DotTune: Video Tutorial for AF tuning without photographs

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,222
Like?
Re: It doesn't work for me
In reply to michaeladawson, Feb 26, 2013

michaeladawson wrote:

So I suppose the first thing to say is that we probably need to be careful of misinterpreting words like "way" and "much". So I'll try and be less subjective in the future.

So was the range I observed "way larger"? I don't know. It was larger. I have no way of determining how much larger. So as we troubleshoot I will try to steer away from subjective terms.

Ok, good. I just wanted to make sure you hadn't already tried to body-default range check yet, or some other method to check the range beyond +/- 20.

So what did I observe? If I achieve critical sharp focus in live view then the green dot is solid throughout the entire -20 to +20 fine tune range. Remember, this is for my chipped MF only lenses that I listed above.

For my 50mm f/1.8D AF lens I can actually do Marianne's offset workaround and come up with a green dot range of something like -18 to +20. Barely workable, but workable. I then can go through your dot tune method and can use find the AF fine tune value by confirming one end of the range. I saw no reduction in the range by using your new findings of keeping the AF selector in AF mode and setting the AF-ON button as you describe (my normal setup anyway).

Ok, let's put aside the MF lenses for now since it's possible they'll tune out of the range due to Nikon's "expanded" VF confirmation for MF.

For the 50mm, can you try tuning using the body-default tune value (described here) and see if that fits within +/- 20?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow