DotTune: Video Tutorial for AF tuning without photographs

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,980
Like?
Re: It doesn't work for me
In reply to michaeladawson, Feb 26, 2013

michaeladawson wrote:

Now on to my real reason for posting. I cannot confirm your finding of a narrow range for "dot tune" when keeping the focus system in AF and using AF-ON button set to AF-ON Only. Using the AF-ON button set to AF-ON Only is the way I use my camera so this was perfect. I was happy when I first read this update. I thought "ah-hah".

So I tried it out. No go. My 50mm f/1.8D lens still requires the entire range for dot tune. And since the lens requires a -10 value according to FoCal the dot tune method is basically not worth the effort for this lens.

Now on to manual focus chipped lenses. I have 3 of these. I have the Nikkor 45mm f/2.8P lens, the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AE, and the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4. None of these can be dot tuned using this method. The range on these lenses is way larger than -20 to +20. Yet these lenses can be fine tuned and stored in the lens table.

Thanks for the feedback. If you'd still like to give it a go I'd like to troubleshoot if we could. First, what did you see that indicated the range on those lenses was way larger than -20 to +20?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow