Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mschulke
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Best camera for snorkelling and scuba
Feb 26, 2013

So, made my first (but certainly not last trip to Hawaii) last month, did a lot of snorkelling with a cheap disposable underwater camera, and now I'm anxious to get back in the water with a good dive camera.  I plan on taking scuba lessons, so I'll need a camera that goes deeper than the current line of rugged cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, etc.  Are there any scuba divers here that have found a camera rig that works well for them?  I want something that will take good pictures, and can do HD video.  My main camera for above the waterline is a Pentax K5, which would be awesome to take underwater.  But the Ikelite housing for it is rather expensive.  I've been thinking of a little Point and Shoot, with a much cheaper housing, but now I'm thinking maybe I should go with a mirrorless body, lens, and housing that can back up the Pentax up top when needed.  I'm a ways off from making a decision, so now I'm just seeking opinions about others have used.

Mark

-- hide signature --

15 years shooting Sage, 10 years shooting SKB, 7 years shooting Pentax

mschulke's gear list:mschulke's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +5 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow