JerBill
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 70-200 f/4G ED VR AF-S or Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS FLD
In reply to JerBill, Feb 26, 2013

JerBill wrote:

harpo95993 wrote:

JerBill wrote:

Just took delivery of the Nikkor 70-200 f/4 a couple of days ago and I can tell you it is every bit as sharp as others have touted. I'm thoroughly impressed. It focuses fast and accurately on my D7000 (no back focusing required...(I must be delusional)). Hand holding is no problem thanks to the very effective VR. I don't regret going with the f/4 over the competition's f/2.8 at all. The bokeh is great. While the f/4 will work for portraits, if I want to get serious about them I'll use a 50mm or 85mm prime. Whether the f/4 is right for you vs. the other f/2.8's will be based on what type of shooting you plan to do. Bear in mind, though, the heft of the f/2.8 models; to my surprise even the f/4 will wear me down after a while. That brings up the one downside of the f/4: last week the RT-1 tripod collar was an extra $200. I see today that Adorama has lowered the price to $169.95. At that price it's worth considering.

Thanks for the input. FYI there is an aftermarket tripod collar that works with this lens. I believe the cost is $49.95. If I can find it again I'll post the link.

Edit: Here's the link to one and I believe there's one more.

http://www.amazon.com/DSLRKIT-Metal-Tripod-NIKKOR-70-200mm/dp/B00ANIH2TG/ref=pd_sim_p_3%3Ftag=68656c7064757-20

Edit 2: Here's the other.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822983-REG/Vello_TC_DB_Tripod_Collar_D_Black.html

Took delivery of the Vello tripod collar yesterday. One reviewer at B&H warned it was too loose for the Nikon 70-200 f/4 and he was right, despite the assurances given me by the B&H salesman. When I say loose I mean way too loose - your camera will wobble within the collar significantly. No amount of tightening will solve the problem. It is going back and I've ordered the DSLRKIT collar from Amazon. Will let you know how it works when it arrives.

The DSLRKIT collar arrived today and it fits the Nikkor 70-200mm f/4 snug as a bug in a rug.  

JerBill's gear list:JerBill's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow