RX100 body made in China is not Aluminium.

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Piginho
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
Re: Notches on camera body.
In reply to DavieK, Feb 26, 2013

DavieK wrote:

Suggest no-one follows the advice about bar-type neodymium magnets (I have some which come with a safety recommendation on how to avoid blood-blister injuries should two of them decide to snap together on your finger...). Whatever is inside the RX100, it won't appreciate the sudden invasion of a very powerful, moving, close magnetic field

David

It would also be irrelevant as aluminium is just as unaffected as plastic in proximity to a strong magnetic field.  There are very few metals that will be attracted to a magnet, no matter how strong it is, and aluminium is not one of them.

Also, I totally agree with David's comment above.  Some of the mechanisms within the RX100, may well be made of steel, or of other materials that are attracted to magnetic fields, in which case such strong magnets may possibly damage your camera.

The assumption that many people have that "metal" which seems to be an all encompassing term, is always attracted to magnetic fields, is amazingly ignorant.  I cannot believe that so many people go through life not knowing that this is not true.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow