D300s vs D7100 - is it about spec or is it about handling?

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
inlawbiker
Contributing MemberPosts: 787Gear list
Like?
Re: D300s vs D7100 - is it about spec or is it about handling?
In reply to soukous, Feb 25, 2013

soukous wrote:

I use a D300s. I love it. It handles like a dream.

I've tried the D7000 and I didn't like it at all. I only shot a couple of frames because it just didn't feel comfortable to use. The controls were - to me - poorly laid out. ...

So how do I upgrade?

Well I think basically, you don't. Since they're different tools for different jobs just stick with the tool that works for you.  D300 is tailor made for a specific purpose.  The D7000 series is for another purpose, all the way down the line.

It's my feeling that working pros don't wish to have their workflow interrupted by unnecessary changes. I would rather just do my job.  If I had to learn a new camera every 3 years it would probably be too often.

But I'm not a photographer, I develop software.  You should see the uproar when certain behaviors are changed in a software environment.  Was the change good or bad?  It doesn't matter, the fact is somebody's way of doing something was altered.

In parallel, with a professional camera I would expect Nikon to work for many years to perfect its operation.  If they get it wrong it would be a disaster.

Now, have they taken too long?  Yes probably.  I'm sure it's hard watching consumer equipment get the latest and greatest every year.  Also, it makes it more difficult for me to buy nice used equipment

inlawbiker's gear list:inlawbiker's gear list
Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow