A couple of "obvious" tips about shooting with Rokinon/Samyang 7.5mm ...

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Philly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,098
Like?
A couple of "obvious" tips about shooting with Rokinon/Samyang 7.5mm ...
Feb 25, 2013

First, if you have an Oly camera, remember to manually set the IS focal length to 8mm (or turn IS off).  I have an Oly E-PL1, E-PM1 and Panasonic G3.  The E-PL1 is the only camera that I leave the IS on, and I had forgotten to manually adjust the focal length for it when I mounted the 7.5mm.  I realized my mistake when I was trying to figure out why some of my photos did not look very sharp.  (The IS focal length happened to have been set for 50mm, and it definitely makes a noticeable difference.)

Second, I was surprised that focusing was a little more difficult than I would have thought.  For me, it was a little difficult to find the hyperfocal distance on the focus ring.  Finally, I set up the camera on a tripod and used a measuring tape to position the camera to to a distance of 3'8" (hyperfocal distance for f3.5) from a computer monitor and  adjust the focus until the fonts on the screen look sharp.  Make sure to measure the distance from the screen to the focal plane (not the front of the lens.)  After that, I just marked the lens' focus ring with a tape--I cut the tape from a Brother p-touch label tape.  I also did this for a focus distance of 1.5 feet.  See attached photo.  Now, it is effortless to set the camera to the hyperfocal distance.

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow