CZ16-80 vs Tamron 17-50 for landscape purposes

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brazo
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
Re: Those two lenses were designed for different goals.
In reply to goetz48, Feb 25, 2013

goetz48 wrote:

Any lens is designed to meet some goals people are requiring.

The Tammy is optimized for speed. Normal zoom lenses with such a large aperture were rare when it came out. And you will hardly find a faster zoom lens. But therefore the zoom range has to be limited and some corner unsharpnes has to be accepted.

The CZ is much slower and therefore may have some larger zoom range and more sharpness.

In former times it was similar: I got very retty slides with a Tessar together with Kodachrome 25 film. My SLR with a 50mm/1.4 lens could not do that unless I entered a building. Then the two steps became important. And putting an Ectachrome highspeed film into the cam solved a lot of further problems except IQ.

I take your point but speed aside they are both std zooms that someone may upgrade to from the kit lens. They are both likely to be an option when looking at a std zoom and because they have many similarities are unlikely to be owned at the same time. The comparison was for landscape sharpness rather than a low light comparison.

Brazo's gear list:Brazo's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow