ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stevie Boy Blue
Contributing MemberPosts: 780
Like?
FZ150 Cute UK Water Vole
Feb 25, 2013

Hi

For those who may be interested, here’s one of my images of a water vole taken with the FZ150. Plus, for those requiring a little background knowledge of the species, I trust the following will be useful in some way.

Our UK water vole population depends entirely on living by water, making the species unique amongst other similar voles found throughout Europe.

Whilst the species once thrived in huge numbers, spreading far and wide across the country, sadly our water voles have suffered a huge decline in the last 25-years or so. It is now widely accepted that the population has been depleted by a massive 90% in that time. Consequently the species is now widely protected. But whilst protection (and in some cases breeding in captivity) of water voles has been successful to a degree, the overall UK population appears to continue its decline – albeit at a much slower rate, thanks to the hard work of caring conservationists in some areas.

Whatever the reasons for their decline (one being that mink released by animal rights activists prey on and thereby eat these animals), populations of water voles seem to survive more successfully where they choose to live in areas frequented by humans. Hence those of you who like a nice flat walk or bicycle ride along the likes of a well-used canal towpath may see a water vole on your travels.

As it happens, I count myself lucky to live only a few miles from such an area that is becoming increasingly acknowledged as a Derbyshire stronghold, where water voles are not only protected but also admired for their sheer cuteness by almost everyone who is lucky enough to see these animals, usually munching away on some bank side vegetation.

For their size, water voles really do shift some food. It is widely accepted that each adult vole will consume 80% of its own body weight in nutrition per day. So, for photographers patient enough to wait around in between feeding spells, the voles’ tendency to pig out (often numerous times) throughout the day, time on the bank can be well spent and various opportunities to capture an image or two should arise during a morning or afternoon session.

Hope this helps, and thanks in advance of looking and reading

Kind regards always

Stevie Boy   

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow