Started Feb 25, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BHPhotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 791Gear list
Like?
Close Up mode on OM-D
Feb 25, 2013

If I use the "LV Close Up Mode" @ x2.5 with RAW+JPEG I get two images, both 11.52x15.36" and 300dpi, but two very different aspects of the shot.

The JPEG image is approximately 40% of the RAW image, but the same physical size. Basically the Close Up mode crops the middle 40%, compresses it but comes out the same physical image size with the same resolution (300dpi) as the RAW image?

The same number of pixels spread over only 40% the area should be a significant IQ loss and, while the JPEG doesn't have the same detail as the RAW file, it certainly isn't that kind of IQ loss.

It's not a burning issue, but I am curious. Can anyone explain this in terms that a math challenged, slightly addled older guy can understand? 
Brian

BHPhotog's gear list:BHPhotog's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Epson Stylus Photo R1900
ANSWER:
Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital) Leica X2 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow