rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 908Gear list
Like?
Re: glossy monitor screen versus matte?
In reply to Lyle Aldridge, Feb 25, 2013

Lyle Aldridge wrote:

rio911 wrote:

Hi Msongs,

The only reason to have reflections on a glossy screen is the wrong lighting source & position. I can't say that glossy is better, don't have the experience but I have worked only on glossy and I only get a problem with reflections if there is something wrong with the available room lighting. A quick monitor or lighting position adjustment usually takes care of that... unless in your case everything is fixed...

Could you perhaps elaborate? In my case, repositioning most light sources is not a problem, but the light that creates the seemingly insoluble problem is the light produced by the monitor itself. Once I get the room lighting reduced to the point where I'm not seeing reflections of every lamp, table and chair in the room, I get reflections of my own head and face.

I'm not sure why you get that, but I have to say that it is usually not a very good idea to work in a very dark environment.  I would think that if you do work in the dark you need to reduce the brightness of you monitor (that is not a good suggestion as previously stated).

If you start looking into the source of reflection: first reduce the number of light sources, try to bring the backlighting/brightness of you monitor to match the lighting source and finally adjust position.  Repeat a couple of times.

And maybe it all comes down to what is acceptable reflection... but you do get reflections off of matte screens as well.

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow